About National Solid Waste Management Programme (NSWMP)
NSWMP was initially launched in 2012 under the Ministry of Environment of the Government of Egypt (GoE). It supports the Waste Management Regulatory Authority (WMRA) and establishing a sustainable and integrated solid waste management system in four governorates (Kafr El Sheikh- Gharbeya- Assiut- Quena).
The project aims at restructuring the waste sector at the national, regional and local level and establishing an independent central entity to regulate the management of the municipal solid waste system and establishing waste management units in in four governorates (Kafr El Sheikh- Gharbia- Quena- Assiut).
A clean, healthy environment using an integrated approach to waste management to achieve the goals of sustainable development as the reduction of the amount of waste and to make optimal use of it .
Support for the establishment of an independent national entity for the waste management system (organization of waste management authority) to setup a new and effective policy for waste management at the national level.
Creating innovative financial tools and polices and encouraging private sector and civil society.
Duration: 2012 – 2022
Funding Sources: funded by 71.9 million euros
The programme is co-financed by national (30%) and international (70%) funding institutions:
- Egyptian Government represented by the Ministry of Environment.
- EU (European Union)
- German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) through the German Bank for Reconstruction (KfW) and GIZ
- SECO (State Secretariat for Economic Affairs)
Employing modern management tools that are based on sound economic principles and cutting-edge materials and equipment.
Enhancing business in an environmentally friendly manner within an integrated waste management framework (an integrative and participatory approach involving different stakeholders of the solid waste sector).
Restructuring and developing the waste management sector.
All of the above is implemented through;
- Consulting services related to the preparation and implementation of the Programme (Preparation of waste management master plans, design and tender documents, construction, supervision, commissioning, training and auditing measures, etc).
- Constructing the infrastructure for of waste treatment, recycling, composting, production of RDF (Refuse – Derived Fuel), disposal facilities and transfer stations.
- Transferring Know-how by a group of international and national consultants to introduce technical support for all matters related to solid waste management.
- Advising the government on waste management and environmental issues.
- Implementing of an effective policy, legislation and institutional arrangements for waste management at the national, Governorate
- Closure of existing dumpsites.
- Supplying of mobile equipment for primary and secondary waste collection and transportation.
- Carrying out pilot projects in (4) governorates to apply different systems for primary collection in urban and rural areas.
Covering (4) governorates; namely, Qena, Assuit Kafr El Shekh & Gharbia.